Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ode to a squirrel


Why do your tailbones shiver,
your teeth rumble
a bitter staccato
with a rap, rap, tap
on rough bark
with nails sharp, movement
a spiral inversion
swaying with vertigo
to tease this curmudgeon
of an old dog?

Sing a song of squirrel
and with a jolt
the canine brain jerks loose,
unmoored and shaken
free out the left ear
to roll away and land worthlessly
in a stack of cast-off seed cones
already stripped of their 
proteinaceous worth.

Rachel Westfall
July 3, 2012

8 comments:

Wander said...

Good to see you back:-)

Wander

Rachel Westfall said...

Thank you, Wander! I have a plan. If I stick to it, think I can post more regularly.

Rob-bear said...

About that Squirrel

“Enough, already, squirrel,”
barks the ancient chien.
“Your incessant noise
reverberates
in the caverns of my mind,
disturbing old dreams,
and new thoughts.
Your scratchy dancing
on tree and branch
forces my eyes
to squint, and cross,
and spin in their sockets.

I register my complaint,
but you ignore me.

Twas ever thus.”

Tuesday, 3 July, 2012

Rachel Westfall said...

That is glorious, Bear. I hope you will post it on your own blog!

Rob-bear said...

Well, I could only put mine on my blog if I could put yours there, too. Because mine needs yours for context.

Would that be possible, please?

Rachel Westfall said...

You could repost it and link back here, or you could just link to it to provide the context. That's what I try to do whenever I springboard off Christopher's ideas.

Moanerplicity said...

Fascinating creatures... squirrels. & this poem captures just what makes them so curiously watchable & so impossibly hypnotic.


Good pen, Rachel. Good pen!


One.

Rachel Westfall said...

Thank you, Lin!